Skip to main content

MONTH OF THE WEIRD!

It's October, and you know what that means: time to celebrate all things wacky, wild, and WEIRD! No tricks- this is gonna be a treat!

 
Howdy, Rebels!
 
It's October, and you know what that means: Spooky time! It's time to kick off The Month Of The Weird! 

WHAT IS "THE WEIRD"?

 

 "The Weird" is the name I've given to all things B-horror. Think Boris Karloff movies, horror pulp novels, weird monster art- anything campy, occult-themed and just plain WEIRD!
 
Though not a subculture in itself, The Weird often runs alongside rebellious subcultures like rockabilly, psychobilly and goth. And during October, I'm all about that.

Here are some visual examples to give you the general vibe:

 

Photo credit: 3btheaterposterarchive.wordpress.com

Photo credit: wwcomics.com

 

Photo credit: Mike Nelson via boingboing.net

 

 

The Month of The Weird will be dedicated to the spirit of The Weird! Weird foods, weird songs, weird limited-time theme change!

I can't recreate the exact vibe of B-horror myself, but I hope my recommended song selections will make up for that. Trust me, they are really WEIRD.

The foods I've got lined up for this month are not only weird, but natural and obscure- the entire MO of this blog. I sure am excited, are you?

I'll spoil the first Month of The Weird post with a riddle:

We draw its blood early, its hair falls out late. Though harvested in spring, autumn's when the blood is ate. The sweetness and flavor is truly sublime, but we eat it at such an inopportune time.

I'll leave you guys off from the theme song of an obscure Canadian cartoon (that you should totally watch- it's on Tubi), Moville Mysteries.

That's all for now. Stay sexy (and spooky)!


Comments

  1. fun fact about the moville mysteries theme, its in part inspired on the Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000) OST: Fateful Confrontation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let's hear it!

Popular posts from this blog

The Quest For The Biggy Iggy! (Part Two)

Happy Labor Day, rebels. In the first part, I found out not only are Biggy Iggy and Chewy Louie still around, they’re at Richmond Market of Richmond, Vermont. (Click here to jump to the recommended song, "The Swag" by Link Wray and his Ray Men!) Happy Labor Day, rebels. In the first part, I found out not only are Biggy Iggy and Chewy Louie still around, they’re at Richmond Market of Richmond, Vermont. And that using Google instead of DuckDuckGo and just letting the store’s website load would have gotten me that information much faster. The Biggy Iggy is a whopping seven ounce, 530 calorie ice cream sandwich that brags about its “premium vanilla ice cream” between two chocolate-chip cookies that stay chewy right out of the freezer. They also get a lot of hype by the people who have had them before. According to the Flash Microsite, one convenience store cashier said “Biggy Iggies sell like flapjacks on a cold morning in Wisconsin.” The people of Massachusetts...

DIY Birch Beer

(Click here to jump to the recommended song, An American Trilogy as performed by Elvis Presley!) Monday is Memorial Day, and what's more patriotic than making a beverage for your cookout using an ingredient from your own backyard? If you're a New Englander like me, you may have seen bottles of birch beer in restaurant fridges or even at your local grocery store. If you've never tasted it, it has a delighful wintergreen taste that slightly resembles root beer. I myself have drunk storebought versions and made my own for years! Now it's time to show you how. NOTE: This recipe takes HOURS to make, so you may want to do this on a day off... maybe Sunday!   Also, this is a non-alcoholic recipe. If you're looking for a fermented birch beer, there are plenty of other tutorials for that on equally rebellious blogs. ;) I may make such a tutorial myself once I'm of age. YOU WILL NEED: - Sharp, straight-edged knife - Mixing Bowl - Pot/Saucepan - Hella birch twigs - Sugar ...

A Decent Cup of Tea (Book Review)

A Decent Cup of Tea   A tea-related post from me? Way overdue. Here I review a book where some Irish guy teaches us how not to suck at brewing tea. (Click here to jump to the recommended song, A Decent Cup of Tea by Frank Turner!) Howdy, rebels! In my last post , I mentioned that tea is the "food-related item I know most about". A friend suggested that I talk about tea, but I didn't know what to say about it until now.   This is because I don't like repeating readily available information. I could drop some tea knowledge on the Rebel Palate, but I would feel dishonest knowing there are already so many better sources . This doesn't mean I can't talk about tea at all, though- I can talk about a book about tea.   I've noticed a lack of "proper" reviews for A Decent Cup of Tea by Malachi McCormick. It's popular among tea lovers, but not in the wider scope, so I thought I would post about it here. The book contains history, advice ...